Healthy Broccoli Apple Salad has lots of crunch and a little sweetness and tang. It makes a healthy side for your warm weather potlucks, picnics and cookouts and it also makes a great fall dish when apples are in season.
This recipe is super easy to make and full of vitamins and minerals.
Fresh broccoli florets, apple chunks, and diced red onions are tossed in a creamy homemade dressing made from nonfat Greek yogurt and mayonnaise mixed with a little apple cider vinegar and honey.
Some dried cranberries add extra sweetness. A few slices of bacon and some sunflower seeds add a salty flavor.
- I tend to like my ingredients chopped really small because I think the more flavors there are in each bite, the better. But it’s a lot more work to chop everything small so a chunkier salad works too. 🙂
- Use any type of apple you like. Granny Smith works well for some tartness. Gala, Honeycrisp and Red Delicious also work well.
- If you prefer, use raisins instead of dried cranberries (Craisins)
- Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds) can be used instead of sunflower seeds.
- You can keep Healthy Broccoli Apple Salad in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days, but it starts to lose its crunch and get watery after a few days.
More Good Picnic Sides
Healthy Broccoli Apple Salad
Healthy Broccoli Apple Salad has lots of crunch and a little sweetness and tang. Bacon and dried cranberries add a salty/sweet contrast.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium apples, diced I like Honey Crisp or Gala
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
Place broccoli, apples, red onion, and dried cranberries in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour yogurt mixture over broccoli mixture. Toss to mix.
Sprinkle bacon and sunflower seeds on top.